11.03.2009

DIY: Paint

Like many people nowadays, we purchased a home that was a foreclosure. Ours was in pretty good shape, but needed a lot of cosmetic work. Let's just say that as far as cosmetics go, our house was wearing blue eye shadow and hot pink lipstick. Anyway, one of the things in our house that needed a face lift was our cabinets. They are those really great ones that are part laminate and part wood, because they were too cheap to go all wood in the first place. The cabinets themselves were in decent shape, but the laminate was coming off in some places because when we pulled up the vinyl floor, the floor was glued to the cabinets.

Before I show you the actual cabinets, I'd like to introduce you to the Serafine featured product: Glidden's Gripper.



When I painted my laminate bookshelf a while back, I had to sand the whole thing down. Although it wasn't a big bookshelf, it took forever to sand and paint. I didn't really feel sanding an entire kitchen full of cabinets, and lo and behold, Gripper. Gripper allows you to paint anything. Even plastic. My only warning: it's super sticky and doesn't wash off your skin very well. I accidentally stuck my foot in some of it, and I had primer on me for a few days.

Cabinets before: (this is before we moved in)

During:


After:



Coming soon: stainless steel microwave. We're picking it up on Saturday. Our microwave just wasn't something I could paint and cover with contact paper. : )

6 comments:

Brooke said...

Oh my word Stacy. It looks AMAZING. I can't wait to see it in person on Saturday. I am so impressed with your DIY skills. You're my inspiration, for real.

Stephanie said...

Stacy...you guys are great! You've now discovered the tranformative properties of a great paint job! I painted my kitchen cabinets AND my laundry room (I also painted the old bathroom cabinets, but I've since gutted and rebuilt that room). Amazing what $50 worth of paint can do. I also painted my old pickled pine table (black) and I love it.

Christy and Tyson said...

Stacy, you are so funny. I really miss you guys. The cabinets look awesome. You've helped me feel not so scared about painting the cabinets in the house we bought. P.S. Did I tell you we bought a house?

Mandy said...

Those cabinets look amazing!

Amy said...

Gorgeous! Love the color you choose too! I NEED to do that to my cabinets but just haven't had the guts too... I'm afraid I'll hate the color I choose... You are so talented!

The Sommerfeldt Family said...

Love it! We just painted our cabinets too, wish I would have known about that glidden product-we sanded every last cabinet!