3.06.2011

spring break

Doesn't this boy look ready for spring break? Sunglasses, baseball outfit... Could it get any better?

Graham and I were pretty excited to have Matt home for a whole week. We tried to take advantage of our time and do some fun things as well as taking some much needed days off (for Matt, anyway).

We started by going to a spring training game. It was the Padres and Mariners. Matt even caught a home run ball.




Good thing we brought our hats.



Graham had fun just hanging out in the shade.



On our way to church we drive past the Peoria museum. I've wanted to see what it was all about, so we went there one afternoon. It is a small museum with some facts about old Peoria. Did you know that a man from Peoria, IL, was given a grant to farm in Peoria, AZ, so the people he sent to farm here named the city Peoria, after Peoria, IL? Bet you didn't. : )





We also ventured out to another baseball complex in Glendale. This is where the Dodgers and White Sox practice. While we were there we watched some practices and open tryouts.



Graham and I sat in the shade and enjoyed the warm weather.


And Matt got Laser Vision! I joked with him all week that he was going to get laser vision. I thought it was hilarious, but maybe it wasn't so funny to anyone else...

Matt spent a lot of his years wearing glasses or contacts. Here's his last moment of wearing glasses.



The operating room (if it's even called that) was a fishbowl type room. We could watch through the glass windows. Sorry about the glare...the glass was pretty shiny.



Now I've never had to wear glasses or contacts, and can't imagine what it would feel like to have your eyes lasered off. The Dr. doing the surgery and his staff said it would feel like having sand stuck in your eyes. I don't know if that's what it felt like, but I don't envy Matt for having to eye pain. But here he is taking a nap afterward.



And I planted my garden! (This picture was supposed to be sideways...I'm still not sure how to make blogger not turn my pictures.) This year we're trying a few of the same things, and a few different things as well. This year we planted some beans, cantaloupe, asparagus, corn, squash, and zucchini. (Don't worry, this year I planted fewer zucchini plants and I plan to thin them when they come up like I was supposed to do last year.) Hopefully everything grows well and doesn't burn up in the heat.


3 comments:

Mandy said...

what fun! i miss the long school breaks. i don't think there can ever be enough pictures of graham.

Brooke said...

Such fun pictures! I loved all your updates. You guys had a busy break. We were at both the same spring training fields this week. We should have coordinated and gone together! Let's do something soon.

Kelli Serafine said...

I am so jealous of the warm weather, baseball and time off of school, but I am most jealous of the laser eye surgery! That is seriously my dream! I hope it works out well for him. Glad to see all these cute pictures of your family. Graham is getting soooo big!